The Korg M1 list – Aug 1995

To: M1_List
Subject: The M1 Mailing list

I’m sending you this message ’cause you sent some message to me about
joining.

The M1 mailing list should be up on Monday the 14th. (Have to wait
till I get paid). I was thinking of also setting up a central ftp
site. What do you think?It would be a site that would carry
exclusively M1 stuff; 1 sysex dump program for the IBM and the MAC
with detailed instructions on how to use them; Factory Patches and
hopefully more public domain patches than I’ve found so far.

Also we need some info for a FAQ. So any tips n’ stuff would be of
great help (I’ve only owned my M1 for about 2 months so it’s pretty
new to me).

BTW – according to a local music shop that does repairs for Korg
stuff told me that the only way to get back the factory patches for
the M1
is to load them from ROM cards or from a computer via sysex (system
exclusive) dumps via MIDI. I guess the M1 is old enough that they
didn’t realize how useful this feature would be.

Anyway just to let you know whats happening

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 06:28:18 -0400
To: noise@io.org
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: Re: The M1 Mailing list

>I’m sending you this message ’cause you sent some message to me
>about joining.

I’m definitely INTO an M1 mailing list.

>The M1 mailing list should be up on Monday the 14th. (Have to wait
till I get paid). I was thinking of also setting up a central ftp
site. What do you think? It would be a site that would carry
exclusively M1 stuff; 1 sysex dump program for the IBM and the MAC
with detailed instructions on how to use them; Factory Patches and
hopefully more public domain patches than I’ve found so far.

Sounds great. I already have some patches available on my midipages.

>Also we need some info for a FAQ. So any tips n’ stuff would be of
>great help (I’ve only owned my M1 for about 2 months so it’s pretty
>new to me).

I’ve only had mine for about 3 months but I still have an extensive
knowledge of the instrument. I will be able to contribute to a FAQ
since people already ask me tons of M1 related questions. I’ll go
through my old M1 related email and put something together.

>BTW – according to a local music shop that does repairs for Korg
>stuff told me that the only way to get back the factory patches for
>the M1 is to load them from ROM cards or from a computer via sysex
>(system exclusive) dumps via MIDI. I guess the M1 is old enough that
>they didn’t realize how useful this feature would be.

I have the factory patches in sysex form included in the m1
sounds.zip file on my M1 page.

>Anyway just to let you know whats happening.

Thanks, keep me posted. I have a fair amount of time to devote to
this kind of stuff so I’ll try to help out as much as possible.

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 11:03:02 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: The M1 Mailing list -Reply

Thank you for the message! Let me know how to join the mailing list. A central
FTP site (ideally with Web access) is an excellent idea. I urge you to go ahead
with it – there will be many appreciative M1 users.

Do you know of a good shareware M1 librarian program that can handle raw sysex?
Where to find it?

The FAQ needs to include info on the Global and Sys-ex stuff. The M1 docs are
terrible, and a lot of users (like myself) struggle to figure out what these
settings mean and when to use them.

Z

Date: Mon, 07 Aug 1995 19:37:15 GMT
From: GARDENS@beachmus.demon.co.uk (Sue Gardener)
Subject: Re: The M1 Mailing list

Sounds great to me. Shame about the lack of factory reset. As my synth
is second hand then I don’t know whether the sounds are factory or
not. Besides, I overwrote 2 immediately I got it, experimenting with
programming it.

Don’t expect too much input from me at first. I’ve owned the M1 less
time than you. My only input at the moment is the name of a (UK)
supplier of ROM cards of patches (No PCM cards though – shame):

—————————————————————————
Sue Gardener            gardens@beachmus.demon.co.uk
*** BeachMusic: Life’s a reach and then you gybe ***
—————————————————————————

To: M1_List
Subject: It’s Up!

Works been a bit nuts lately so I’ll have to make this quick.

The M1 Mailing list is now up.

To subscribe, simply send a email message with the words

in the message part (Not in the subject line) to
korg-m1-l-request@io.org

The address for posting to the list is
korg-m1-l@io.org

I’ll be doing some things like configuring the list a bit more fully
this weekend.

Later all

To: M1_List
Subject: Woops!

Actually you might want to hold off on the subscribing bit for a day
or so.

Seems like the mailing software is going a bit wonky.

Poop!

To: M1_List
Subject: It’s Up!

Well the M1 – list seems to be up and running. I’ve tested it and it
seems to work.

To subscribe, simply send a email message with the words

in the body of the message (Not in the subject line) to
korg-m1-l-request@io.org

The address for posting to the list is
korg-m1-l@io.org

I’ll be doing some things like configuring the list a bit more fully
this weekend.

Later all

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 05:13:50 -0400
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: M1 FAQ

Since this is a new mailing list, now would be a good time to start
compiling a FAQ. I have spoken to a couple of you already concerning
this topic (it was first brought up by Noise@io.org the founder of
this list). When such a FAQ exists I will be glad to use my home pages
as a place for it to be world readable both in txt and html format. I
already have a few ideas. How about these for starters:

1. What is an M1?
2. How can I restore the factory patches?
3. What is AI synthesis?
4. Are there any hidden functions and/or resets?

1. I have an answer for the first question on my Web page
http://www.gate.net/~jsexton/m1.htm under DESCRIPTION.

2. Via sysex librarian or Rom/Ram card with factory patches. (there
could also be some net pointers here)

3. brief description of M1’s synthesis (I could write this up if
necessary)

4. I’m not sure about this but I have heard that they exist.

Just some ideas to get things started. (I sure hope I’m not talking
to myself). Chime in already you M1 fiends.

X-Sender: jsexton@mailhost.gate.net
Mime-Version: 1.0
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 05:30:09 -0400
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: M1 List
Sender: owner-korg-m1-l@io.org
Precedence: bulk

>Hello, M1 list –

>I’m glad to see this forum is forming (or foruming). Has this been
>announced yet on the groups (such as comp.music and alt.music.midi)?

>Zenon M. Feszczak

Not that I know of. How about it noise are you game? If not I’ll do it
but not to too many groups at once (I don’t feel too comfortable with
that). I guess I could post anonymously. How about these groups:

alt.emusic
alt.music.midi
comp.music
rec.music.makers
rec.music.makers.synth

I could list more but I would like to see it in only the most
relevant places or else it would be too spamlike.

Date: Mon, 21 Aug 1995 17:10:40 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: M1 List

Hello, M1 list –

I’m glad to see this forum is forming (or foruming). Has this been
announced yet on the groups (such as comp.music and alt.music.midi)?

Zenon M. Feszczak

Subject: Re: M1 List

>>Hello, M1 list –

>>I’m glad to see this forum is forming (or foruming). Has this been
>>announced yet on the groups (such as comp.music and
alt.music.midi)?
>>Zenon M. Feszczak

>Not that I know of. How about it noise are you game? If not I’ll do
>it but not to too many groups at once (I don’t feel too comfortable
>with that). I guess I could post anonymously. How about these
groups:

>I could list more but I would like to see it in only the most
>relevant places or else it would be too spamlike.

Hi all!

Sorry I’ve been a bit quiet lately but things are so nuts at work I
barely have time to PICK UP any email let alone do anything with it.

There are a few places to post info about new mailing lists (NEW LIST
ANNOUNCE being one of them). I still have a couple of administrative
things to do to the list before I want announce it to the wide world.
Hopefully I’ll be doing most of this stuff tonight.

So far, how’s it been? Anyone having trouble subscribing?

I’ll post a note after I done with all this configuring stuff…

later

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org
***********************************************************

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 09:21:24 -0400
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: Re: M1 List

noise@io.org wrote:

>There are a few places to post info about new mailing lists (NEW LIST
>ANNOUNCE being one of them). I still have a couple of administrative
>things to do to the list before I want announce it to the wide
>world. Hopefully I’ll be doing most of this stuff tonight.

I already posted the mailing list info on my M1 page. I hope that’s
ok. My website only recieves about 1000 hits a month so it probably
won’t amount to much.

>So far, how’s it been? Anyone having trouble subscribing?

smooth sailing for me so far.

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 15:03:00 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: PCM data

Does anyone know how to move PCM data into and out of the Korg M1
memory? I would like to backup the original PCM info before using any
cards, or downloading any new PCM data from other Korg cards.

I’m using a Mac, BTW, but if you have PC info, you might as well post
it. This is good FAQ material.

Zenon M. Feszczak

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:16:48 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: PCM data -Reply

Well, I might as well reply to my own question, to the two other
people on this list so far.

I just spoke with Korg tech support. The PCM data in the Korg M1 CAN
NOT BE CHANGED. You can’t download from a PCM card into the M1. So
those card pairs (sound + PCM cards) have to be used together.

Boring, frustrating, and annoying. But hey, it’s 1988 technology.
Whaddaya expect?

Love that Mono Synth sound on the original programs.

From: noise@io.org
Subject: Done configuring !

Well, I’ve done about all the configuring on this mail list that I
think needs to be done, so hopefully everything should still be
working ok. Advertising the list should now be ok.

I’ve added a “reply to” header in the address of the mail messages so
when you want to reply to a message, the whole list will also get a
copy. (The default setting for Majordomo, the mailing list manager,
is
to have the replies to any message go only to the person who
originally posted. Seems like kinda dumb default setting to me.)
Hopefully this should work.

I’ve added some text at the bottom of the messages that include the
subscription information to eliminate the need for anyone to send
unsubscribe messages to the posting address.

Just a reminder the address for posting to the M1 mailing list is
korg-m1-l@io.org.
thats a lower-case L after the m1 not a number one as some might
think. For some reason my ISP wanted to keep the “L” in there.

Anyways, hope this list proves useful! And if the mailing list
program seems to be going wonky, just drop me a note at
noise@io.org

later

To: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply

>Well, I might as well reply to my own question, to the two other
>people on this list so far.

>I just spoke with Korg tech support. The PCM data in the Korg M1 CAN
>NOT BE CHANGED. You can’t download from a PCM card into the M1. So
>those card pairs (sound + PCM cards) have to be used together.

>Boring, frustrating, and annoying. But hey, it’s 1988 technology.
>Whaddaya expect?

>Love that Mono Synth sound on the original programs.

Did you actually get NEW SOUNDS with the PCM cards or are they just
patches of the existing sounds? I guess the chance of finding any
would be pretty small.

wondering…

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 00:40:44 -0400
From: jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

Hello All,

Glad to see an M1 list!

>>4. Are there any hidden functions and/or resets?
snip!
>>4. I’m not sure about this but I have heard that they exist.

You should be able to initialize the entire bank of program and combi

presets like so:
i) M1 power OFF.
ii) Press and hold down INT, CARD, and COMBI buttons.
iii) M1 power ON.

*All* presets will be reset to a default value.

Cheers,
JOD

Jody Daub

Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>You should be able to initialize the entire bank of program and
>combi presets like so:
>i) M1 power OFF.
>ii) Press and hold down INT, CARD, and COMBI buttons.
>iii) M1 power ON.
>*All* presets will be reset to a default value.

>Jody Daub
>http://www.ottawa.net/~jdaub/

Gee, do you mean that the program names and combination names go back
to the originals? I just tried it and doesnt seem to work. It does
give you the ROM # though..What does it tell you when it boots up?

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 13:17:21 -0400
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>>You should be able to initialize the entire bank of program and
>>combi presets like so:
>>i) M1 power OFF.
>>ii) Press and hold down INT, CARD, and COMBI buttons.
>>iii) M1 power ON.
>>*All* presets will be reset to a default value.

>>Jody Daub
>>http://www.ottawa.net/~jdaub/

>Gee, do you mean that the program names and combination names go back
>to the originals? I just tried it and doesnt seem to work. It does
>give you the ROM # though..What does it tell you when it boots up?

Lets make this a little more confusing, eh. I tried that key combo and
what I got was 100 programs called “Init Prog” and 100 combinations
called “Init Combi” and a song 0 called “New Song” indicating
100%Free. In other words a totally INITIALIZED machine. BTW all the
programs/combis sound like the straight piano multisample which of
coure is the #000 waveform. This would be a great crash course in M1
programming if you had no sysex or rom cards to back up from.

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 13:23:50 -0400
From: jsexton@gate.net (John Sexton)
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>4. Apparently, if you boot your M1 while holding down the <INT> and
> <CARD> keys, it will tell you what version of the ROM you have. My M1
>gives its rom as #06. This Friday I plan to take my M1 into the store
>where I bought it to get the ROM updated. I’ll see if I can borrow the
>tech docs to grab any interesting tidbits to share with you all.

Mine says #28. BTW Jody’s Key combo was different. It was
<INT>
<CARD>
<COMBI>
which initializes the machine.

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 12:59:36 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
To: korg-m1-l@io.org,

Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply

Did you actually get NEW SOUNDS with the PCM cards or are they just
patches of the existing sounds? I guess the chance of finding any
would be pretty small.

wondering…

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org
***********************************************************

I didn’t get any cards yet, but I’m thinking of getting some. Most of
the Korg cards come in pairs: – a PCM card, which actually includes
new sampled sound date – a card of new patches, some using the
original Korg sounds, some using the new ones (so programs and combis
on this card)

So you should insert both cards in the two slots provided.

Z

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 19:57:56 GMT
From: GARDENS@beachmus.demon.co.uk (Sue Gardener)
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

John Sexton writes:
>Mine says #28.

Let’s indulge in some oneupmanship here! My ROM version is #29. Is
this the latest version?

Does this represent a difference in the PCM data? I noticed that at
least one of my programs was different in name to the list that comes
with Cakewalk. I don’t know whether this is due to the previous owner
programming his own sounds

(not unreasonable!) or due to my later ROM version. Have the
underlying PCM multisounds been the same from day 1?

Oh, and hello everybody, welcome to the list. Anybody care to kick
off some biog postings so we know who’s out there?

How about “Hi I’m Sue. I own a Korg M1” for starters?

—————————————————————————
Sue
Gardener    gardens@beachmus.demon.co.uk
*** BeachMusic: Life’s a reach and then you gybe ***
—————————————————————————

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 13:56:21 -0700
From: Rick Knight <rknight@wpo.borland.com>
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ -Reply

WHO’s who out there. I’m Rick Knight: Northern California: T3 owner,
starting to feel dated in the technology dept. Definitely tired of
sequencing on board, looking into Vision or Performer for the Mac or
Cakewalk for Windows.

Cheers

From: hbomb@easynet.co.uk
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 22:18:05 +0100
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

here are a few questions i would like to submit to the FAQ

1:what are the benefits of upgrading the korg m1 rom ?

2:can the user upgrade the korg m1 rom ?

3:is there a way to create your own pcm ?

4:can you install a disk drive to an early korg m1 ?

i like the idea for a mac/pc ftp. it will save a lot of time and help
the users not download the wrong formats of files

hbomb

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:42:03 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: Intro

So, let’s continue the introductions!

I’m in Philadelphia. Musical emphasis on drums, percussion, piano,
synthesizer.

Jazz, experimental, new music, ambient, ambient dub, Eastern European
music (especially Ukrainian).

My very primitive MIDI setup:

Macintosh SE/30 with external full-page monitor Mark of the Unicorn
Performer
PassPort interface
Korg M1

Admire: Brian Eno, Bryan Ferry, Robert Fripp, Michael Cretu, Kraftwerk,
Miles Davis, Marcus Miller, Manu Katche, Peter Gabriel, Rachmaninov,
Bach . . .

Best headphones:
Nakamachi – so light, such pure sound . . .

Best speakers:
Accoustat electrostatic.

Best neighbor reactions:
1. “I’m getting a migraine!”
2. “Sounds great! Now stop it.”
3. “WHAT THE HELL IS THAT NOISE?”
4. “My cat is dying!”

Dreaming of: A set of electronic drums. A good drum machine. A
sampling keyboard. A newer computer. Being able to play like Glenn Gould.
A jazz drum set for my M1. To live in Prague. A serious cup of coffee
and a cigarette.

That’s all for now . . .

Zenon M. Feszczak
Pseudo-Musician

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 15:27:05 -0700
From: Rick Knight <rknight@wpo.borland.com>
Subject: T3 note shifting

On the 01/W one can shift notes along several measures or an entire
track and you can specify the range (what notes to shift and how much
plus or minus). A cool feature and real convenient when limited to
the onboard sequencer. Anyone think of a clever way to do this on a Tx or
Mx synth w/o using a computer sequencer.

Rick

From: hbomb@easynet.co.uk
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 23:28:41 +0100
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

greetings all

i am glad to see the list is up and running and hope that all will
learn and enjoy from it.the faq should be a good starting point for
discussion so what are all these different rom specs ? #19 i am paul
harris a battling m1 dabbler based in south london i use a pc,cubase
1.10,alesis sr16,roland mt32,gravis,m1 my musical interests vary from
jazz, worldmusic, and uplifting house

hbomb

Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply -Re

>I didn’t get any cards yet, but I’m thinking of getting some. Most of
>the Korg cards come in pairs:
>- a PCM card, which actually includes
>  new sampled sound date
>-a card of new patches, some using the
>  original Korg sounds, some using the new ones (so programs and combis
>  on this card)

>So you should insert both cards in the two slots provided.

>Z

I know that you can get some PCM cards from some places (like Pro-Rec)
in the states but I thought that they were just patches of the
exsisting sounds. Was I in error?

Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>>>You should be able to initialize the entire bank of program and
>>>combi presets like so:
>>>i) M1 power OFF.
>>>ii) Press and hold down INT, CARD, and COMBI buttons.
>>>iii) M1 power ON.
>>>*All* presets will be reset to a default value.

>Lets make this a little more confusing, eh. I tried that key combo and
>what I got was 100 programs called “Init Prog” and 100 combinations
>called “Init Combi” and a song 0 called “New Song” indicating
>100%Free. In other words a totally INITIALIZED machine. BTW all the
>programs/combis sound like the straight piano multisample which of
>coure is the #000 waveform. This would be a great crash course in M1
>programming if you had no sysex or rom cards to back up from.

Really? I wonder why my machine won’t do this? Nothing seems to change
from the programs I had before. Maybe its cause its ROM version #06?
Or maybe cause its a rack mount?

Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>John Sexton writes:
>>Mine says #28.

>Let’s indulge in some oneupmanship here! My ROM version is #29.
>Is this the latest version?

You know, I’ve been having trouble when I was trying to dump sound back
and forth between the M1 and Edit One which is visual
editor/libraininiain (oh how the heck do you spell it?!!). I’ve got to
get this thing updated . . .

From: noise@io.org
Subject: More Info then you want…

Hey Gang

I’m noise. Based in Toronto, Canada. I started this mailing list cause
I was surprised at the small amount of M1 info I could find on the
net.

I’m more of a Guitarist/Songwriter than a keyboardist. One of the
projects I’m involved in is a band called _Surface Noise_. We do a
sort of Public
Enemy-borrows-the-Jesus-and-Mary-Chain’s-van-but-won’t-give-their-keys-back
musical style. We deal with subjects like freedom of speech, copyright
reform, appropriation and for some reason, Diane Linkletter. We have a
release (called Copy-Cat Suicide) available here in Toronto and
Detroit. It includes 6 tracks, one extended mix and over 50 samples of
sounds taken from the release and some spoken word stuff that this
wacked out guy in New York keeps sending us. We also released a
anti-U2 compilation called _FU2_ as a response to the legal
persecution of the band Negativland. I think it might now be out on CD
in the states.

My playing style is a combination of Fred Frith, Mark Moreland and the
dead guy from the B-52’s (minimalist but very noisy). I was given the
nickname _Noise_ after I started doing some session work with some
keyboard only bands. They all had the latest and greatest samplers and
synths, and when I clicked on all of my old analog pedals. . . well
you get the idea.

We have a web page at:

My home set-up is small. Just a M1R, a old Mirage sampler a Roland
keyboard controller, Mac LCIII and Alchemy and Ez Vision software.

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 20:18:51 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

>3: is there a way to create your own pcm ?

That would be great. I’m inclined to think that it is not possible
without whatever machine it is that creates PCM cards. The T3EX (and
the other T’s as well) can import user samples into a 1MB ram area.
The EX upgrade for the M1 does add the T3’s stock capabilities but
not the user ram option.

>4:can you install a disk drive to an early korg m1 ?

A company called Temporal Acuity used to make an M1 disk drive called
the Frontal Lobe. One of my friends had one. I don’t know if it had
any significant features that are not available in any sysex floppy
device. BTW it worked from the midi port.

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 1995 20:58:03 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Intro

At 04:42 PM 8/24/95 -0500, you wrote:
>So, let’s continue the introductions!

I live in Florida and studied Jazz Composition at the University of
composer James Lewis’ NEA funded LP, a Pop Group cassette, a rock trio
EP and a Salsa album. Now I self-produce basement cassettes for
whoever wants one.

I have a personal homepage that I use to distibute my tapes and midi
information in general. As far as I know there is a huge lack of M1
info on the net and I have run many types of queries so I hope my
humble M1 page will provide at least some online info for M1 users.

Influential types: Penderecki, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno,
Phillip Glass, Al Jourgensen, Bill Lasswell, Trent Reznor, Moby, and
The Orb to name a few.

My equipment includes: Korg M1, Ensoniq ESQm, Roland Juno 1, Roland
R8, Lexicon Jamman, ADA MP1, Mark of the Unicorn PC Midi Express,
486DX2/66, 12MB 730MB HDD SB16 2X CD-Rom , Cakewalk Pro 3.01 Gemeni DJ
Mixer, Technics (crappy ones-NOT 1200s) turntables, Mackie 1202,
Furman PL8, SKB rack, Alesis RA100 amp and Distex speakers.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 01:09:17 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply

At 12:59 PM 8/24/95 -0500, Noise wrote:

>I know that you can get some PCM cards from some places (like Pro-Rec)
>in the states but I thought that they were just patches of the
>exsisting sounds. Was I in error?

No. The rom cards sold by Pro-Rec are rom cards only with no need for
additional PCM data. They’re also quite good IMHO.

>You know, I’ve been having trouble when I was trying to dump sound
>back and forth between the M1 and Edit One which is visual
>editor/librainininin (oh how the heck do you spell it?!!). I’ve got to
>get this thing updated . . .

I think the lower # rom in your case has more to do with yours being
the rackmount version. Since the rackmount came out later and probably
cannot use the M1’s OS verbatim you might have the latest version. I
know for sure this is the case with my Ensoniq ESQm. The Ensoniq
corporate website ( I wish Korg had a corporate website other than
that ad linked to the Keyboard mag online) has a listing of most
recent rom version for all of their units and the ESQ1 (the keyboard
version that came out earlier) had a much higher # than the ESQm. It
turned out I had the most up to date rom. As far as the sysex problems
go, I have them as well. I’ve adopted some strange measures to deal
with it. One thing that works for me is I turn off every other midi
device other than my computer and M1 when doing a transfer and I get
clean results more often. Also, I subscribe to the Cakewalk list and a
similar topic came up. It seems that older midi synths cannot handle
sysex data to be transmitted as fast as computers are often capable of
sending it. When the M1 came out the computers at the time were Mac
Plus’ and 286′ with 1MB of ram and a 20MB hard drive. Cakewalk allows
you to set up delays and buffers in the .ini files so older synths can
handle it. If you can dish out the dough, a commercial package like
Unisyn might be the way to go. You might even get some tech support.

Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply

>As far as the >sysex problems go, I have them as well. I’ve adopted
>some strange measures to deal with it. One thing that works for me is
>I turn off every other midi device other than my computer and M1 when
>doing a transfer and I get clean results more often. Also, I subscribe
>to the Cakewalk list and a similar topic came up. It seems that older
>midi synths cannot handle sysex data to be transmitted as fast as
>computers are often capable of sending it. When the M1 came out the
>computers at the time were Mac Plus’ and 286′ with 1MB of ram and a
>20MB hard drive. Cakewalk allows you to set up delays and buffers in
>the .ini files so older synths can handle it. If you can dish out the
>dough, a commercial package like Unisyn might be the way to go. You
>might even get some tech support.

Actually, Edit One is a commercial product. Its a small version of the
Galaxy product line from Opcode. For the most part its pretty cool.
Very graphic and makes my M1 much more understandable.

Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply

>As far as the sysex problems go, I have them as well. I’ve adopted
>some strange measures to deal with it. One thing that works for me is
>I turn off every other midi device other than my computer and M1 when
>doing a transfer and I get clean results more often. Also, I subscribe
>to the Cakewalk list and a similar topic came up. It seems that older
>midi synths cannot handle sysex data to be transmitted as fast as
>computers are often capable of sending it. When the M1 came out the
>computers at the time were Mac Plus’ and 286′ with 1MB of ram and a
>20MB hard drive. Cakewalk allows you to set up delays and buffers in
>the .ini files so older synths can handle it. If you can dish out the
>dough, a commercial package like Unisyn might be the way to go. You
>might even get some tech support.

Actually, Edit One is a commercial product. Its a small version of the
Galaxy product line from Opcode. For the most part its pretty cool.
Very graphic and makes my M1 much more understandable.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:18:14 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: Re: PCM data -Reply -Reply -Re -Reply

>I know that you can get some PCM cards from some places (like Pro-Rec)
>in the states but I thought that they were just patches of the
>exsisting sounds. Was I in error?

I’m not familiar with Pro-Rec. But I thought that the PCM cards, by
definition, include new waveform data. That’s why most of the Korg
cards come in pairs. One card is the PCM card including the new
sampled waveform data, and the other is the actual Program card with
the new patches.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:23:13 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: UniSyn and the M1?

Good morning, all –

I’m considering buying Mark of the Unicorn’s UniSyn for the Macintosh,
as a patch editor/librarian. I already use Performer, and the two
programs are supposed to be well integrated. Still, it’s a $200
upgrade.

Any advice, praise, or dire warnings?

And does everyone have their copy of Orbital’s “Diversions” EP playing
yet? The Euro-Tunnel Disaster remix is a gift from sequencer heaven.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:26:31 -0500
From: “Zenon M. Feszczak” <FESZCZAK@EMAIL.CHOP.EDU>
Subject: Sources for M1 Sounds

Hello, again –

Another idea for the FAQ is to start a list of sources for M1 sounds.
Commercial and otherwise.

Here’s a couple I’ve discovered:

Kid Nepro: (718)-642-7802

Voice Crystal – ? – supposedly re-releasing most of the unavailable
Korg cards, at a lower price.

Zenon M. Feszczak

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 11:49:35 -0400
From: jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
Subject: Re: Intro

Hey All,

>So, let’s continue the introductions!

My name is Jody Daub. I studied percussion at the University of Ottawa.
I now spend most of my time writing electronic music.

I own the following thingy’s:
Korg M1
Yamaha TG55
Tascam Porta One 4-track
486 PC running Cakewalk Pro ver. 3.00
Roland Pad-5 MIDI triggers

I have made available some M1 patches on my web page ( see below ). I
believe John Sexton has all these, and more, on his page.

I dig Frank Zappa, Marcel Duchamp, Hermann Hesse, Henry Miller and
more…

My ROM data is #29. So, everybody can either call me Jod, or #29.

Jody Daub

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 11:49:37 -0400
From: jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
Subject: Initializing M1

Hey,

One thing J. Sexton and I forgot to mention: After initializing the M1,
the ( System ) Exclusive is disabled in Global mode. Be sure to enable
this MIDI filter before dumping/receiving sysex data.

>Really? I wonder why my machine won’t do this? Nothing seems to
>change from the programs I had before. Maybe its cause its ROM
version >#06? Or maybe cause its a rack mount?

Sorry, can’t help you. Have you tried other button combinations? A
friend of mine owns an EXM1R – I’ll see what his machine can do.

JOD

Jody Daub

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 09:28:30 -0700
From: Rick Knight <rknight@wpo.borland.com>
Subject: Re: Intro -Reply

John,

USF grad! I was just back there (Tampa) to visit my folks. Too damn
humid for this Northern California boy. Let me see if I got this: you
live in Florida and you have a basement?

Anyway, I forgot to include my influences which are markedly
different than ones I’ve been reading in this thread:

Steely Dan/Donald Fagen, Gino Vanelli (yes, he’s still recording, his
new CD “Yonder Tree” is awesome jazz/pop fusion), Go West, Level 42,
Kenny Loggins, Joni Mitchell.

…yep, you guessed it, a thirtysomething.

Still waiting for some T3 chatter. Anyone hear of any good upgrades
for it? I have the last ROM upgrade which at least got it to stop
freezing up in sequencer mode.

TTFN
Rick

>>>John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net> 08/24/95 04:58pm

At 04:42 PM 8/24/95 -0500, you wrote:
>So, let’s continue the introductions!

I live in Florida and studied Jazz Composition at the University of
composer James Lewis’ NEA funded LP, a Pop Group cassette, a rock trio
EP and a Salsa album. Now I self-produce basement cassettes for
whoever wants one.

I have a personal homepage that I use to distibute my tapes and midi
information in general. As far as I know there is a huge lack of M1
info on the net and I have run many types of queries so I hope my
humble M1 page will provide at least some online info for M1 users.

Influential types: Penderecki, Miles Davis, Pink Floyd, Brian Eno,
Phillip Glass, Al Jourgensen, Bill Lasswell, Trent Reznor, Moby, and
The Orb to name a few.

My equipment includes: Korg M1, Ensoniq ESQm, Roland Juno 1, Roland
R8, Lexicon Jamman, ADA MP1, Mark of the Unicorn PC Midi Express,
486DX2/66, 12MB 730MB HDD SB16 2X CD-Rom , Cakewalk Pro 3.01 Gemeni DJ
Mixer, Technics (crappy ones-NOT 1200s) turntables, Mackie 1202,
Furman PL8, SKB rack, Alesis RA100 amp and Distex speakers.

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 20:47:44 GMT
From: GARDENS@beachmus.demon.co.uk (Sue Gardener)
Subject: Intros

Thanks to everyone for their intros. I had better now expand my
intro:

I’m Sue. I’ve been ‘into’ music for half my life (I am of course one of
those ageless internet beings). I was in a few student bands some 10
years ago (oops! giveaway) playing guitar badly then bass not so
badly. I have now mellowed out and have a home setup. I am within a
few months off releasing my first DIY album, hopefully on CD, probably
on the NET. I’ve recently learnt the Bodhran (Celtic frame drum) in an
effort to avoid going totally ‘techno’

My gear:
Korg M1
Roland S760 sampler (less than 24hrs old)
Korg 05R/W
IBM PC 486DX33
Soundblaster 16 with Waveblaster synth daughter board (good!).
Cakewalk for win pro 2
Alesis Quadraverb GT
ART DXR
Spirit Folio Lite
home hifi
Bodhran (see above)

Acts I like (call them influences):
The Shamen, Portishead, Bjork, Capercaillie, Cranberries, INXS, Laurent
Voulzy, Mylene Farmer, Tori Amos, PJ Harvey, Mike Oldfield Nirvana,
Seal, Les negresses vertes, Clannad, Jean-Michel Jarre, Peter Gabriel,
Kate Bush, Japan, Allan Holdsworth, Jean-Jacques Goldman Eric Johnson,
Sting, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morisette, Level 42, Deep Forest, All About
Eve, Kraftwerk, the The, Stereo MCs and U2.

I work as a programmer. I’ve dabbled in MIDI software in my spare
time. I’ve written a set of MIDI performance tools to make live
playing easier. I’ll release them as shareware as soon as I get round
to writing the help (always the last thing to get done).

Feels like group therapy!

—————————————————————————
Sue
Gardener    gardens@beachmus.demon.co.uk
*** BeachMusic: Life’s a reach and then you gybe ***
—————————————————————————

Date: Fri, 25 Aug 1995 18:33:31 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Intros

At 08:47 PM 8/25/95 GMT, Sue wrote:

>I work as a programmer. I’ve dabbled in MIDI software in my spare
>time. I’ve written a set of MIDI performance tools to make live
>playing easier. I’ll release them as shareware as soon as I get round
>to writing the help (always the last thing to get done).

How about writing an M1 Editor/Librarian? Or maybe just an instrument
definition file for that Winsysex shareware program? I have attempted
the latter myself without results. Even when I thought I had figured
out exactly which sysex string to send the M1 I was wrong or at least
it didn’t work. Midi Implementation charts give me a headache. Just
an idea.

korg-m1-l@io.org
From: noise@io.org
Subject: Why can’t I do this?

I’ve been using combi #099 on my M1R as my MIDI setup. Tracks 1-8 are
assigned to MIDI channels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10. I use the last track for
my drum stuff.

I’m using Efex in parallel. I want to have most of tracks come out of
the main L/R outputs, but I’m trying to get the bass drum and snare
drum sounds to come out of outputs C and D respectively. The rest of
the kit I want to come out of the L/R outs. I’ve used the <GLOBAL>
page to set the drum sound pans and it works when it it’s in <PROGRAM>
mode. When it <COMBI> mode the bass and snare drum sounds still come
out of the L/R outs! (I want to use different amounts of reverb on the
snare and bass drums).

What an I doing wrong? I’ve read the manual, fooled around with it for
hours, cursed at it, insulted it, shook my fist at it; nothing seems
to work. Any ideas?

From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: UniSyn and the M1?

>Good morning, all –

>I’m considering buying Mark of the Unicorn’s UniSyn for the
>Macintosh, as a patch editor/librarian. I already use Performer, and
>the two programs are supposed to be well integrated. Still, it’s a
>$200 upgrade.

>Any advice, praise, or dire warnings?

I’m using a one device editor from Opcode called Edit-One (based on
their Galaxy software). For the most part, it worked great. Now
however, it won’t shuffle stuff between my Mac and my M1R anymore. It
might be my ROM revision or a MIDI speed thing.

Edit One is being discontinued so it only cost me $100.00. It did make
the M1 much more understandable. I’ve never heard anything about
UniSyn.

Hope this helps

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 1995 19:54:54 GMT
From: GARDENS@beachmus.demon.co.uk (Sue Gardener)
Subject: Re: Why dan’t I do this?

Have you tried switching Pan3 and Pan4 in the effects section to OFF?
These pan the outputs of C and D to A and B post FX.

>I’ve been using combi #099 on my M1R as my MIDI setup. Tracks 1-8 are
>assigned to MIDI channels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,10. I use the last track for
>my drum stuff.

>I’m using Efex in parallel. I want to have most of tracks come out of
>the main L/R outputs, but I’m trying to get the bass drum and snare
>drum sounds to come out of outputs C and D respectively. The rest of
>the kit I want to come out of the L/R outs. I’ve used the <GLOBAL>
>page to set the drum sound pans and it works when it it’s in <PROGRAM>
>mode. When it <COMBI> mode the bass and snare drum sounds still come
>out of the L/R outs! (I want to use different amounts of reverb on the
>snare and bass drums).

>What an I doing wrong? I’ve read the manual, fooled around with it
>for hours, cursed at it, insulted it, shook my fist at it; nothing
>seems to work. Any ideas?

—————————————————————————
Sue
Gardener    gardens@beachmus.demon.co.uk
*** BeachMusic: Life’s a reach and then you gybe ***

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 10:14:36
From: egp@ideas.com (Edward Plant)
Subject: new guy

Hello all,

I have an M1, which I’m using as the keyboard controller/external
synth in a system with a couple of Turtle Beach sound cards (Monterey
and Tropez) in a 100MHz Pentium. My software includes Cakewalk Pro,
Quad (Turtle Beach 4-track hard disk recording software), and Finale.
Anyone else out there configured similarly?

Also, being new to the list I’ll waste no time in asking everyone’s
favorite question – where do I find the treasure trove of great M1
sounds out there? Is there a FAQ for this list with this kind of info?
I’m particularly interested in brass instrument sounds (french horn,
trombone, baritone).

Thanks! and have a nice day…

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Edward Plant,

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 07:28:03 -0700
From: daviddb@ix.netcom.com (David Berry )
Subject: Re: Hello, anyone there ?

>Also, there was a machine (don’t know if it still exists) wchich
>could be plugged into PCM CARD slot. It could store samples, and it
>had sampling capabilities itself. I would appreciate any info on
>this.

There’s a machine that gives the M1 sampling capabilities? I’d love
to get more info on this…

Anybody?

Dave

From: mvelchec%nhqvax.dnet@rapnet.sanders.lockheed.com
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 95 10:51:21 -0400
To: “owner-korg-m1-l@io.org
Subject: RE: Hello, anyone there ?

I believe that the M1 expansion which could be plugged into the PCM
card slot is (was?) called the Frontal Lobe. I’ll try to locate more
info on this for you. As for the EX upgrade— personally, I think
that it’s a good idea. I own a T2, and I think that the M1’s EX
upgrade will give you all of the sounds that I have. Granted, the
sounds are a bit dated, but I’m still getting a lot of mileage out of
the T2.

Mike

Date:    Tue, 29 Aug 95 15:38:10 CET
From: Jacek Latanowicz <JACK%PLPUAM11@plearn.edu.pl>
Subject:    Hello, anyone there ?

Hello Korg users, anyone here ?

If yes, than quick question. Anybody knows the M1-expansion kit which
makes M1 an EX ? Is it worth buying, what does it add besides new PCMs?
Also, there was a machine (don’t know if it still exists) wchich
could be plugged into PCM CARD slot. It could store samples, and it
had sampling capabilities itself. I would appreciate any info on
this.

an Korg M1 user (4 years now),

Jacek L.

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 11:59:16 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: new guy

At 10:14 AM 8/29/95 EDT, you wrote:
>Hello all,

>Also, being new to the list I’ll waste no time in asking everyone’s
>favorite question – where do I find the treasure trove of great M1
>sounds out there? Is there a FAQ for this list with this kind of info?
>I’m particularly interested in brass instrument sounds (french horn,
>trombone, baritone).

The FAQ is in the process of being created. Here are some sites that
were recommended by hbomb last week that should get you started:

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 12:10:50 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Hello, anyone there ?

At 03:38 PM 8/29/95 CET, you wrote:
>If yes, than quick question. Anybody knows the M1-expansion kit which
>makes M1 an EX? Is it worth buying, what does it add besides new PCMs?

I’m not exactly sure what the EX upgrade adds specificly. I think it
adds new PCMs, another bank of 100PROGs and 100 COMBIs and more
sequencer memory. If anyone has the EX upgrade out there please tell
all of us the details. As far as the question, is it worth it? the
answer probably depends on your needs and the price you find. I called
Korg direct about the EX upgrade and they didn’t have it anymore. They
did transfer my call to a dealer who had some in stock. He wanted me
to ship him my M1 and the cost would be $350 for the EX module
installed. I thought that was too expensive for what you get so I
didn’t do it. Has anyone else found a better deal.

>Also, there was a machine (don’t know if it still exists) wchich
>could be plugged into PCM CARD slot. It could store samples, and it
>had sampling capabilities itself. I would appreciate any info on
>this.

Do you remember the name?

——————————

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 10:23:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Spamboy <randy@isaac.biola.edu>
Subject: Re: Hello, anyone there ?

In regards to the EX expansion to the M1, I did it. It basically gives
you the T-series sounds, but you have to put a card in to get the
B-bank of T-series sounds. My sequencer memory didn’t improve, but it
dramatically improved my M1. If you don’t want to sell your M1 and you
don’t want to buy a new keyboard, it’s a pretty good thing to do. I
have a T1 now and the sounds still sound good, when I use them right.

Randy Budnikas        * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  Randy@isaac.biola.edu
8182 Glengarry Green  *SPACE MONKEY ENTERPRISES *    714-522-BITE
Buena Park, CA 90621  * * * * * * * * * * * * * *  fax/modem:714-522-6323

From: noise@io.org
Subject: our little list…

Well, it seems that out little mailing list has grown to over 50
members! I guess the net DID need this mailing list (I was wondering
what the response would be since there was so little info on the M1 on
the net).

Maybe some of the new people would like to send out intros; you know
who you are, your set-up, what kind of music your into, etc. Some of
the older members (the old guard who have been here for almost 2
WEEKS!) probably not mind sending out their original intro-posts
again.

Here is mine:

Hey Gang

I’m noise. Based in Toronto, Canada. I started this mailing list cause
I was surprised at the small amount of M1 info I could find on the
net.

I’m more of a Guitarist/Songwriter than a keyboardist. One of the
projects I’m involved with is a band called _Surface Noise_. We do a
sort of Public Enemy-borrows-the-Jesus-and-Mary-Chain’s-van-but-
won’t-give-their-keys-back musical style. We deal with subjects like
freedom of speech, copyright reform, appropriation and for some
reason, Diane Linkletter. We have a release (called Copy-Cat Suicide
reviewed in FactSheet 5) available here in Toronto and Detroit. It
includes 6 tracks, one extended mix and over 50 samples of sounds
taken from the release and some spoken word stuff that this wacked out
guy in New York keeps sending us (even available on 8-track!). We also
released a anti-U2 compilation called _FU2_ as a response to the legal
persecution of the band Negativland. I think it might now be out on CD
in the states.

My playing style is a combination of Fred Frith, Mark Moreland and the
dead guy from the B-52’s (minimalist but very noisy). I was given the
nickname _Noise_ after I started doing some session work with some
keyboard only bands. They all had the latest and greatest samplers and
synths, and when I clicked on all of my old analog distortion (4)
pedals. . . well you get the idea.

We have a web page at:

My home set-up is small. Just a M1R, a old Mirage sampler a Roland
keyboard controller, Roland M-120 rack-mount mixer, Mac LCIII and
Alchemy and Ez Vision software. I also have a 1967 Vako Orchestron
(with Rick Wakemans signature in it!). It’s kinda like Mellotron but
uses clear plastic disks instead.

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 09:00:56 -0700
From: daviddb@ix.netcom.com (David Berry )
Subject: Yo!

Hey,

I’m Dave. I live in Tampa, FL. I have had my M1 for about 10 months
(bought it for $400!). I got it originally for some strings and others
stuff I might want to incorporate into my music (I originally was a
guitarist). At the time, that was rock/hard rock/thrash/etc. But,
January rolled around (pun intended) and I went to my first rave. I
could not stand techno music before and I still really can’t. I really
LOVE trance, house, acid, ambient, etc. and they all seem to fall
under “techno” to the mainstream. Since January ’95, all I’ve been
listening to is trance, house, acid, ambient, etc. Anyway, I’ve since
started a project creating trancey, acidey music w/ killer power drum
grooves.

My current electronic instrument set-up consists of:
Nord Lead
Korg M1
Roland JX-3P
Roland SH-101
Casio CZ-101
Roland TR-606
Roland R70
Alesis SR-16
IBM PC comp. w/ AWE32 (8MB RAM) for samples

plus a ton of other effects, mixers, guitars, amps and stuff…. 🙂

I want to get the most out of my M1 and some really killer sounds,
too..

Anybody else into similar music?

Let me know,
Dave

——————————

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 10:56:57 -0700 (PDT)
From: Spamboy <randy@isaac.biola.edu>
Subject: Re: our little list…

When I joined this list, I understood that it included owners of the
T-series synths too. If there aren’t any out there, then maybe I
shouldn’t be on this list, but if there are, I have some questions
regarding the T-series. I have a T1 and would love to change effects
parameters via MIDI in a real-time sequence. Have any of you done
that? Thanks

Randy Budnikas         * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Randy@isaac.biola.edu
8182 Glengarry Green *SPACE MONKEY ENTERPRISES *    714-522-BITE
Buena Park, CA 90621 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * fax/modem:714-522-6323

From: Christophe DUPERTHUY <cduper@rfv.insa-lyon.fr>
Subject: Hi there…
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 95 19:16:06 METDST

Hi there, I’m quite new in this Mailing List.

I’m “learning to make research” ;=) on computer vision (PhD for one
year now). But I bought a M1 four years ago (about 2000$ !!! at this
time… snif ;=) . My problem is that a haven’t enough time to play
music (I’m not a “musician” ) so, for now I can’t bring you
interesting things about my M1. I’m about to buy a Pentium 100 with
Multimedia. The sound card is an Audio Excel 16bit ; I don’t know if
it’s a good one (I can’t change it for now) Have you suggestions for :
– changing some origine sounds without loosing them (will it be
possible to “stock” all sounds of my M1 on the PC?). – Is there good
soft (not expensive of course ;=)) to create sounds… – Will you eat
me if I’m a novice ?

Oh sorry ! It’s 19h15 (here in France – yes I know ; stop all
nuclear…). My teacher waits for me at 19h30 for dinner ! Bye ! See
you soon.

Chris.

Subject: Vision Crystal

John Sexton made a post re

>Voice Crystal – ?
>- supposedly re-releasing most of the unavailable Korg cards, at a
>lower price.

Well, I gave Voice Crystal a call (408) 945-0139 and talked to Dave.
Unfortunately, they never had any intention of re-releasing any of the
Korg cards (I imagined we were talking about the PCM cards right?).
They do offer their own patches on cards.(Poop!) With all the M1
owners out there it would seem like a good market. I wonder why no one
has done this? Too Hard? Hmmmm…

He told me that one of the Keyboard mags did a M1 sound review of a
bunch of companies that release M1 patches and he said that Voice
Crystal got a very high rating. I told him about our growing mailing
list and he was very excited. Voice Crystal is going to be putting up
a WEB page in about a month or so, where you could download some demos
of their patches.

They sell the patches exclusively on cards. He gave me the following
prices: $65.00 each card or the set of all five they offer for
$225.00. I asked him to send me some brochures, I’ll post more info
after I receive them.

Gee, if this mailing list gets big enough, maybe we could talk a
couple of companies to give some kinda discount….?

To: korg-m1-l@io.org
From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: Hello, anyone there ?

Spamboy wrote:
>If you don’t want to sell your M1 and you don’t want
>to buy a new keyboard, it’s a pretty good thing to do. I have a T1 now
>and the sounds still sound good, when I use them right.

(read like Batman) Truer words could not be spoken Spamboy!…Strange…
so many think that technology…will enable them to become…more
creative. When all they have to do is…master what they have. It’s up
to us to help them! Quick Spamboy, to the Net’Poles!

From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: our little list…

>When I joined this list, I understood that it included owners of the
T-series synths too. If there aren’t any out there, then maybe I
shouldn’t be on this list, but if there are, I have some questions
regarding the T-series. I have a T1 and would love to change effects
parameters via MIDI in a real-time sequence. Have any of you done
that? Thanks

It is! This is a new list so it might take a while to get all the
models represented.

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 22:03:14 -0400
From: Saul Rosenberg <minderbinder@mail.aqua.net>
Subject: Initial Settings for the Korg and Midi Patch for Cakewalk

I am looking to find a ramcard with the Korg M1 initial settings, and
a Midi Patch to Patch to Cakewalk Home Studio for the M1.

By the way I’m new..

26 years old, non musician… programming type… likes Vangellis….
and thinks MIDI is really nifty. Are there any other Cakewalk users
here?

Minderbinder

Date: Wed, 30 Aug 1995 23:07:31 -0500
From: stenseth@mcs.net (Craig & Dawn Stenseth)
Subject: Intro & drum map question

Hi, Just found out about this list & s*bscribed. Does anyone know if
it’s possible to program the drum map on the M1 to sort of ‘mimic’
General MIDI? I’m not too concerned about the more exotic percussion
stuff (agogo, whistle, whatever), I’d just like to send bass, snare,
open hihat, closed hihat, etc. from my sequencer and/or accompanyment
software, and have the M1 act like a drum machine (but better sounding
than my TR-505). Sorry for the programming ignorance; and yes, I do
have the back issue of Electronic Musician with ‘M1:Drum Machine of
the Gods’ or something… It just isn’t sinking in…

Craig

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 00:14:47 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: Initial Settings for the Korg and Midi Patch for Cakewalk

At 10:03 PM 8/30/95 -0400, you wrote:
>I am looking to find a ramcard with the Korg M1 initial settings, and
>a Midi Patch to Patch to Cakewalk Home Studio for the M1. By the way
>I’m new.. 26 years old, non musician… programming type… likes
>Vangellis…. and thinks MIDI is really nifty. Are there any other
>Cakewalk users here?

You can get the factory patches at my M1 page as well as several other
places.

I am also a Cakewalk user and I created an instrument definition for
the M1 factory set. I will email it to you if you want.

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 01:31:21 -0400
From: jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
Subject: Re: Initial Settings for the Korg and Midi Patch for Cakewalk

Minderbender wrote:

>I am looking to find a ramcard with the Korg M1 initial settings,

You can download the factory presets (if that’s what you mean by
initial settings) and another four banks of patches from my home
page.

>and a Midi Patch to Patch to Cakewalk Home Studio for the M1.

What exactly do you mean by this? Do you need some kind of Sysex dump
utility? I’m still not sure whether CW Home Studio has one of those.
If you *do* need a Sysex utility, John Sexton’s got one on his page
(http://www.gate.net/~jsexton/index.htm) – don’t you John?

Cheers,
JOD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
e-mail: jdaub@ottawa.net    http://www.ottawa.net/~jdaub/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 01:31:24 -0400
From: jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
Subject: Re: Hi there…

Chris wrote:

>Have you suggestions for :
>- changing some origine sounds without loosing them (will it be >
possible to “stock” all sounds of my M1 on the PC?).

No problem. All you need is one of the many System Exclusive utilities
available around the net. I can only remember the name of the one
available on John Sexton’s page
(http://www.gate.net/~jsexton/index.htm) – WSysex. These are usually
simple to use, librarian type programs that enable you to edit and
store patches for future use.

>- Is there good soft (not expensive of course ;=)) to create >    >
sounds…

Good question. *Is* there a shareware or freeware M1 editor in
existence? If no, why not? I know, I know – I haven’t bothered,
either.

>- Will you eat me if I’m a novice ?

I can’t keep myself from breaking into a full fledged giggle.

Cheers,
JOD
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
e-mail: jdaub@ottawa.net    http://www.ottawa.net/~jdaub/
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Subject: Re: Intro & drum map question

>Hi,
>Just found out about this list & s*bscribed. Does anyone know if
>it’s possible to program the drum map on the M1 to sort of ‘mimic’
>General MIDI? I’m not too concerned about the more exotic percussion
>stuff (agogo, whistle, whatever), I’d just like to send bass, snare,
>open hihat, closed hihat, etc. from my sequencer and/or accompanyment
>software, and have the M1 act like a drum machine (but better
>sounding than my TR-505).

Yes you can. First you have to get a hold of the General MIDI
note-specs then go through the Drum sets and change the note maps
manually.

I did it through the front panel and it worked for a while. Then I got
hold of a bunch of M1 sysex dumps from the net which of course
replaced all the hard work I did to my drum maps. (Doh!) If you have a
visual editor for your computer it would be a lot easier. I’ve been
using Edit One software on the Mac and it worked for a while but I
think my M1r is a bit screwy. I have a utility written by Barry Kirsch
(bkirsch@nadc.nadc.navy.mil) which somehow changes your midi files to
match the note maps of various synths but so far I haven’t been able
to figure out how it works.

I’ll take a look through my files and see if I can find the General
MIDI specs.

Subject: Vision Crystal

John Sexton made a post re

>Voice Crystal – ?
>- supposedly re-releasing most of the unavailable Korg cards, at a
>  lower price.

Well, I gave Voice Crystal a call (408) 945-0139 and talked to Dave.
Unfortunately, they never had any intention of re-releasing any of the
Korg cards (I imagined we were talking about the PCM cards right?).
They do offer their own patches on cards.(Poop!) With all the M1
owners out there it would seem like a good market. I wonder why no one
has done this? Too Hard? Hmmmm…

He told me that one of the Keyboard mags did a M1 sound review of a
bunch of companies that release M1 patches and he said that Voice
Crystal got a very high rating. I told him about our growing mailing
list and he was very excited. Voice Crystal is going to be putting up
a WEB page in about a month or so, where you could download some demos
of their patches.

They sell the patches exclusively on cards. He gave me the following
prices: $65.00 each card or the set of all five they offer for
$225.00. I asked him to send me some brochures, I’ll post more info
after I receive them.

Gee, if this mailing list gets big enough, maybe we could talk a
couple of companies to give some kinda discount….?

Subject: Re: Drum map question

>>Does anyone know if it’s possible to program the drum map on the M1
>>to sort of ‘mimic’ General MIDI? I’d like to send bass, snare, open
>>hihat, closed hihat, etc. from my sequencer, and have the M1 act like
>>a drum machine

>Which sequencer do you use? I solved this (with Opcode’s Vision) by
>creating a “transpose map” that routes the GM notes to the M1’s. This
>probably doesn’t work with your accompaniment software though. Anyway,
>this solution saved me a lot of programming, since creating a new
>drumkit isn’t exactly a whole lot of fun…
>Chris

Guess you can’t do that on EZVision or Musicshop?

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:55:41 +0200
From: smalt@nnet.nedernet.nl (Chris Smalt)
Subject: Re: Drum map question

>Does anyone know if it’s possible to program the drum map on the M1 to
>sort of ‘mimic’ General MIDI? I’d like to send bass, snare, open
>hihat, closed hihat, etc. from my sequencer, and have the M1 act like
>a drum machine

Which sequencer do you use? I solved this (with Opcode’s Vision) by
creating a “transpose map” that routes the GM notes to the M1’s. This
probably doesn’t work with your accompaniment software though. Anyway,
this solution saved me a lot of programming, since creating a new
drumkit isn’t exactly a whole lot of fun…

Chris

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 21:05:39 -0400
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: M1 FAQ

OK since this discussion has waned a bit already I decided to cut and
paste what has already been said into some rag tag kind of document
that paraphrases and/or quotes the ideas posted here on the list to
this thread. I credited all contributors (hopefully I didn’t leave
anyone out) at the end. Please remember this is as UNOFFICIAL as it
gets. This should at least rekindle some discussion.

horrifyingly disjunct, incomplete and illinformed FAQ begins here:
——————————————————————————

KORG M1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS LIST
[alpha version 0.1] (a very limited, and probably incorrect version)

1. What is an M1?
2. How can I restore the factory patches?
3. How does the M1 make sounds?
4. Are there any hidden functions and/or resets?
5. What are the benefits of upgrading the korg m1 rom ?
6. Can the user upgrade the korg m1 rom ?
7. Is there a way to create your own pcm ?
8. Can you install a disk drive to an early korg m1 ?

*Contributors are listed at the end of this document.

1. What is an M1?

A.>It is a workstation keyboard. Since it was one of the first and the
best of its kind at the time it sort of defined what a keyboard
workstation was and still is, basically, today. It has Programs,
Combintions and Sequences. 100/100/10 of each respectively. The
Programs (sounds) are built from ROM based multisamples which can be
expanded through the use of PCM data cards which fit in a slot in the
back. There is also a ROM/RAM card slot in the top of the unit for
additional programs/combinations/sequences. The midi implementation is
very good. Only a very advanced user would ever find its few
limitations midi-wise. It has 16 note polyphony, can produce up to 8
simultaneous timbres (either split/layer or multi as a combination or
sequence) has a 16 track sequencer with the ability to store up to 10
songs. It has 2 independant effects processors for
reverb/delay/chorus/flange/phase/exciter etc… which can be routed in
serial or parallel to a program/combi/sequence. It is good at
producing instrument simulations (piano, bass, sax, guitar, flutes,
drums, etc…) but is not as convincing making synthy sounds since the
standard sine/square/saw/etc… waves are sampled rather than
generated by an oscillator and the filter section is fairly limited.
It has a decent sized LCD readout and the operating system is fairly
intuitive. All data can be backed up seperately as program data,
combination data, global data and sequence data or backed up as bulk
(all of the above) to a sysex device. Individual sounds, programs,
sequences can be backed up to a RAM card or through the use of an
editor/librarian. Overall I think it has a warm/ambient/thick sound
and can be used in virtually any style of music. It is one of the top
selling keyboards of all time which is either good or bad depending on
your viewpoint. There are plenty of third party sounds available for
it. I like mine a lot even though I wish it were more programmable but
nevertheless I find it indispensible and for the price irreplaceable.

2. How can I restore the factory patches?

A.>Via sysex librarian or Rom/Ram card with factory patches.

3. How does the M1 make sounds?

A.> Using AI Synthesis.

4.Are there any hidden functions and/or resets?

A.> Apparently, if you boot your M1 while holding down the <INT> and
<CARD> keys, it will tell you what version of the ROM you have. My M1
gives its rom as #06. This Friday I plan to take my M1 into the store
where I bought it to get the ROM updated. I’ll see if I can borrow the
tech docs to grab any interesting tidbits to share with you all.

You should be able to initialize the entire bank of program and combi
presets like so:
i) M1 power OFF.
ii) Press and hold down INT, CARD, and COMBI buttons.
iii) M1 power ON.
*All* presets will be reset to a default value.

Lets make this a little more confusing, eh. I tried that key combo and
what I got was 100 programs called “Init Prog” and 100 combinations
called “Init Combi” and a song 0 called “New Song” indicating
100%Free. In other words a totally INITIALIZED machine. BTW all the
programs/combis sound like the straight piano multisample which of
coure is the #000 waveform. This would be a great crash course in M1
programming if you had no sysex or rom cards to back up from.

5. What are the benefits of upgrading the korg m1 rom?

A.> Who knows?

6. Can the user upgrade the korg m1 rom?

A.> Maybe?

7. Is there a way to create your own pcm ?

That would be great. I’m inclined to think that it is not possible
without whatever machine it is that creates PCM cards. The T3EX (and
the other T’s as well) can import user samples into a 1MB ram area.
The EX upgrade for the M1 does add the T3’s stock capabilities but not
the user ram option.

8. Can you install a disk drive to an early korg m1 ?

A company called Temporal Acuity used to make an M1 disk drive called
the Frontal Lobe. One of my friends had one. I don’t know if it had
any significant features that are not available in any sysex floppy
device. BTW it worked from the midi port I think.

CONTRIBUTORS:

hbomb@easynet.co.uk
jdaub@intacc.net (Jody Daub)
noise@io.org

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:41:22 -0500
To: noise@io.org
From: stenseth@mcs.net (Craig & Dawn Stenseth)
Subject: Re: Intro & drum map question

>Yes you can. First you have to get a hold of the General MIDI
>note-specs then go through the Drum sets and change the note maps
>manually.

I’ve got the list of Gen MIDI drum note numbers. I just am not clear
on whether each key can be mapped to any drum sound.

>I did it through the front panel and it worked for a while. Then I
>got hold of a bunch of M1 sysex dumps from the net which of course
>replaced all the hard work I did to my drum maps. (Doh!)

Glad to hear someone else does this. One reason I’ve never spent much
time programming a decent Combi is that I keep getting new Programs
loaded, screwing up the Combi that uses the old sounds.

Craig

From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: our little list…

>Please don’t worry. I think that this list SHOULD be directed towards
>Korg in general. But on the other hand I like the idea about older
>Korg gear only. Maybe the name of the list should be korg-l ? (or list
>like that exists already ?) T1 is very similair to M1 except it’s
>larger, better and has some more capabilities. So You are the big bro
>here 🙂

>Jacek L.

There is a list for Korg 0X and synths like that, but there was
nothing on the M1 or other like synths (and no responses when I posted
questions). That’s why I started this one.

One thought on “The Korg M1 list – Aug 1995

You can use these tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>