The Korg M1 list – Feb. 1996

——- start of digest (122 messages) (RFC 934 encapsulation) ——-
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 1996 18:15:42 -0900
From: ralf@eskimo.com (Saralynn Andrew)
Subject: M1* Assist a novice

I have only recently found this list.  However, I have had my M1 (bought
used, of course) for about six months.  The basic factory sounds were intact
and it came with one spare sound card– an odd one though.  I am not doing
the type of things a lot of you seem to be talking about, but I am wanting
to do stuff that I am pretty sure most of you have done.  Thus, when I got
my messages from the weekend (overcrowded mail server on weekends), I was
delighted to see messages on the way to do system dumps.  I save & printed
them, so there is no need to reiterate them.  (I am the keyboardist for a
relatively conservative Christian folk group.)

However, I still have a problem that I am not sure of how to solve and I
would appreciate the voice of the list’s experience.

Assuming I dump the current (modified some) memory into a file in my
computer via the instructions outlined before, and then load some of the
other patches that were also spoken of, if I like only a couple of the
patches, how do I reload the original memory and still be able to save the
couple of patches that I liked to over-write some of the patches in my
current memory that I don’t use (or can’t stand)?  I do not currently have a
blank card.  Will it be necessary to get one?  (I hope not as I do not
expect to need to do this often and they still are around $90 in this area.)

On an entirely different subject– I am only now getting to trying drum
sequences as “fearless” leader hadn’t been really open to them before now
(it is only going to be a trial even now) and as such, I know they can be
done from others.  But how?  Instructions on creating drum sequences,
including the keyboard settings, would be of great assistance.

Thank you in advance for this.

*    Saralynn Andrew                 *   Now abidest these three–
*    ralf@eskimo.com                 *       Faith, Hope & Charity
*    The Electronic Secretary        *   But the greatest of these is
*    Kirkland  WA  USA               *       Charity

——-
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 02:32:18 -0500 (EST)
From: The Psychedelic Troglophile <dobwhite@indiana.edu>
Subject: M1* M1 frustrations

Hey there,
I just got my M1 over Christmas, and I know very little about
it.  I have written two songs so far and saved them on the sequencer, and
I only seem to be able to apply song-wide effects, as opposed to being
able to apply different effects to each track.  How do I get around this?
Also, when I reach about 40% memory in the sequencer, it starts
to mess up slightly on playback if the sounds I have used are sounds that
use a lot of memory.  How do I allocate a little more memory to the
sequencer for proper playback without erasing anything in any other area?
Third, is there any way to apply a large VDF cutoff envelope to
the joystick without experiencing any volume loss, i.e. just a wah envelope?

-Bruce

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 1996 03:31:13 EST
From: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com
Subject: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality

– —- Mail Item Text Follows
To: INTERNET–IBMMAIL

From: R. Lohman
Subject: house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality
Hi all!

Sorry for not getting back to you all on the SAM-1 sampling device;
things got really hectic when my computer insisted for the umpteenth time
to crash and I had to spend all of my spare time trying to get the !#@$#$
thing to run. And to tell you the truth, MIDI is _still_ not working.
I’m considering running Windows NT. Does anyone have any experience with
that, especially running sequencers and harddisk recording? I’m curious
whether there will be timing problems etc.

About the SAM-1: I listened to the demo CD and was _not_ blown away by
the quality. Since the raw samples were included as well, it gives a
pretty good impression of the device’s playback quality. It sounded a
bit ‘cheap’ to me, like a 12-bit sampler maybe. Of course, how something
sounds is a very personal thing, so judge for yourself. But my opinion is
to save your money and spend a little more on the new AKAI S2000 instead,
or better still get an Emu ESI-32, which is what I’m using. Great filters
and special FX, and I still get to use all of my KORG T1 voices for those
great atmospherics, drones and leads.

Which leads me to my last part of this post (maybe I should have posted
three messages?!?): does anyone have any experience in creating house/
techno sounds for the M1/T1? I would appreciate not only the sounds them-
selves but any tips on creating them from scratch. I’ve found it diffi-
cult to get anything resembling analogue bass or leads etc. out of mine.

See ya later!!!    =;-)

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Rein Lohman
IBM internal: NL52932 at UITVM1
Internet: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 12:44:01 -0500
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback
quality

At 03:31 AM 2/2/96 EST, you wrote:

>Sorry for not getting back to you all on the SAM-1 sampling device;
>things got really hectic when my computer insisted for the umpteenth time
>to crash and I had to spend all of my spare time trying to get the !#@$#$
>thing to run. And to tell you the truth, MIDI is _still_ not working.
>I’m considering running Windows NT. Does anyone have any experience with
>that, especially running sequencers and harddisk recording? I’m curious
>whether there will be timing problems etc.

There is hardly any midi software that is designed to run in Windows NT
right now. What I’ve heard from people trying to run midi apps in NT is
frustration, problems and very limited successes. If midi is your goal you
should stick with dos, win 3.x, win95 or a macintosh. Midi and NT has yet to
arrive IMO.

<snip>

>Which leads me to my last part of this post (maybe I should have posted
>three messages?!?): does anyone have any experience in creating house/
>techno sounds for the M1/T1? I would appreciate not only the sounds them-
>selves but any tips on creating them from scratch. I’ve found it diffi-
>cult to get anything resembling analogue bass or leads etc. out of mine.

I am writing a bank of techno oriented sounds right now. I have written 30
patches so far. My advice is to stick to the things that the M1 does best
and exploit those possibilities and keep the analog emulations to a minimum.
The biggest reason I say this is that the M1 lacks the crucial element
needed to make good techno analog sounds  which is RESONANCE (curses!). You
can emulate the classic filter sweep by using the VDF MG (Korg’s term for an
LFO). Set the filter cutoff fairly low (like 50 or less) and apply the VDF
MG to modulate both oscillators and mess with the intensity and frequency
until you get something you like. You can also change the waveform the VDF
MG uses in order to get some real wierdness. You can even simulate resonance
by using the effects section. Probably the best stuff in the M1 is the
modulation effects like flange, phase, and chorus. Try using dual square
waves, in mono mode, pitched down to 16′, detuned, running through a heavy
flange and you can get a nice warping patch. The sine wave is nice and clean
and clear and makes for a strong sub-bass. Pitch a sine down to 16′ and give
it the envelope you want and lower the cutoff so it sounds bassy and you’ll
have your friends car subs singing. You can get good house organs by
stacking two organs applying a delayed tremelo with the PITCH MG to create
that warble and run it through a chorus. You can also pitch one of the
organs up a fifth and lower its volume for those super thick house chords.
For analog emulations I have found the square and saw waves to be the most
useful. I like to use a lot of monophonic patches apply the VDF MG as a
modulator and double the waveforms up and detune them and add flange as a
mock resonance. The M1 also lacks portamento (curse korg again). For timbral
variation from one keystroke to the next apply velocity sensitivity to the
VDF. For house pianos and organs you will want to apply velocity sensitivity
to the VDA’s as well. I also use the choir and voice patches a lot since the
M1 does them so well. In order for them to sound interesting in a techno
setting I usually do everything I can think of to make them as
unrecognizable as possible and I end up with some kind of strange pad or an
ambient sound. Oh well, learn everything you can about the M1’s synth
section and be creative. As for analog basses, use an analog synth.
– ——————————————–
J O H N  S E X T O N
jsexton@gate.net
– ——————————————–

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 1996 14:48:12 -0700
From: raveguy@iamerica.net (Toby Herndon)
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality

How ya doin?
I have quite a few house and techno sounds I’ve been able to come up with on
my M1.
I have a couple of patches that sound very similar to the Mini-Moog, of
course not as
wet, and analog, as the Moog, but pretty damn close.  If you want em let me
know.
I am looking for some good Techno and House drum kits for the M1. Any ideas?
If you need a hand on programming some house and techno sounds let me know.
I’ll share with ya what I know.

Sincerely a Faithful M1 Fanatic,

RaveGuy

>—- Mail Item Text Follows
>To: INTERNET–IBMMAIL
>From: R. Lohman
>Subject: house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality
>Hi all!
>Sorry for not getting back to you all on the SAM-1 sampling device;
>things got really hectic when my computer insisted for the umpteenth time
>to crash and I had to spend all of my spare time trying to get the !#@$#$
>thing to run. And to tell you the truth, MIDI is _still_ not working.
>I’m considering running Windows NT. Does anyone have any experience with
>that, especially running sequencers and harddisk recording? I’m curious
>whether there will be timing problems etc.
>About the SAM-1: I listened to the demo CD and was _not_ blown away by
>the quality. Since the raw samples were included as well, it gives a
>pretty good impression of the device’s playback quality. It sounded a
>bit ‘cheap’ to me, like a 12-bit sampler maybe. Of course, how something
>sounds is a very personal thing, so judge for yourself. But my opinion is
>to save your money and spend a little more on the new AKAI S2000 instead,
>or better still get an Emu ESI-32, which is what I’m using. Great filters
>and special FX, and I still get to use all of my KORG T1 voices for those
>great atmospherics, drones and leads.
>Which leads me to my last part of this post (maybe I should have posted
>three messages?!?): does anyone have any experience in creating house/
>techno sounds for the M1/T1? I would appreciate not only the sounds them-
>selves but any tips on creating them from scratch. I’ve found it diffi-
>cult to get anything resembling analogue bass or leads etc. out of mine.
>See ya later!!!    =;-)
>Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
>Rein Lohman
>IBM internal: NL52932 at UITVM1
>Internet: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com

Date: Fri, 02 Feb 1996 14:51:19 -0700
From: raveguy@iamerica.net (Toby Herndon)
Subject: Re: M1* M1 frustrations

Hey! You can go into the Global settings to allocate more memory to your
sequencer, BUT!make sure you do it right or you will blow out some of your
presets. If you need a step by step let
me know and I’ll give ya a walk through on it.

Later Daze,

RaveGuy

P.S.  If you find out how to apply effects to seperate tracks, share that
with me please.
That is one thing I haven’t figured out yet either/

>Hey there,
>       I just got my M1 over Christmas, and I know very little about
>it.  I have written two songs so far and saved them on the sequencer, and
>I only seem to be able to apply song-wide effects, as opposed to being
>able to apply different effects to each track.  How do I get around this?
>       Also, when I reach about 40% memory in the sequencer, it starts
>to mess up slightly on playback if the sounds I have used are sounds that
>use a lot of memory.  How do I allocate a little more memory to the
>sequencer for proper playback without erasing anything in any other area?
>       Third, is there any way to apply a large VDF cutoff envelope to
>the joystick without experiencing any volume loss, i.e. just a wah envelope?
>                       -Bruce

Date: Fri, 2 Feb 1996 21:06:07 -0500
From: noise@io.org
Subject: M1* Final Word on “Good Times” Virus

Hi there, I’m Noise the M1 mailing list administrator (and owner I guess).

The above stated “Good Times” virus is a old Internet urban legend that
surfaces from time to time. I can’t recall the many numbers of times I’ve
seen this pop up over the last 4 years (Must be at least 10-15 times over
the many mailing lists I’m on).

Although I’m sure the poster of the message did so with all good
intentions, I would prefer that all off-subject postings sent to the list
be sent to me first. I’ll look over them and forward them onto the list if
they seem relevant. It’s important that we keep the discussion here
somewhat focused to the synths or at least MIDI or music related stuff.

>From time to time you’ll come across such ‘net poop. For the most part just
ignore them and you’ll be fine (things like “MAKE MONEY FAST” “HOT GIRLS
ARE WAITING” that type of thing). However, you might come across some
message about sending huge gobs o’ cash to mailing list managers. Now
THAT’s the kind of message you should pay attention to!

– – Administrivia over –

later all

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org                   http://www.io.org/~noise/

***********************************************************

Date: Sat, 03 Feb 1996 10:11:48 +0800
From: Amanda Druck <druck@iap.net.au>
Subject: Re: M1* M1 frustrations

Toby Herndon wrote:
> Hey! You can go into the Global settings to allocate more memory to your
> sequencer, BUT!make sure you do it right or you will blow out some of your
> presets. If you need a step by step let
> me know and I’ll give ya a walk through on it.
> Later Daze,
> RaveGuy
> P.S.  If you find out how to apply effects to seperate tracks, share that
> with me please.
> That is one thing I haven’t figured out yet either/
> Is there a way to use the larger memory option without losing half of the programs and combinations when returning back to the normal memory allocation?  I’ve used the large memory
option but when I return to normal, patches 50 to 99 are just copies of 00 to 49. Is this normal
or is there a better way to do it? Is isn’t a big problem as I back-up all my data to a Yamaha
MDF-2, but if there is a better way I would be interested in knowing.
Please share the ‘seperate tracks effects’ info. with me too please. It’s very frustrating.
Oh yeah! What exactly does an M1-EX have that the normal M1 doesn’t? Is it just the card with an
extra 100 programs and 100 combinations? I just bought an M!-EX last week and this is the only
difference I can see.

Shoogagoogagunga!
Kevin

Date: 03 Feb 96 00:13:19 EST
From: Peter Chan <72234.3025@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: M1* GM Patches

Has anyone created GM patches for M1 ?  If we (M1 fanatics) can use the M1 for
GM sequencing then we are making the M1 even more versatile.  Do you agree?

Date: Sun, 4 Feb 1996 23:54:10 +0100
From: punzo@pinerolo.gvo.it (Pierpaolo Punzo)
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality

>How ya doin?
>I have quite a few house and techno sounds I’ve been able to come up with on
>my M1.
>I have a couple of patches that sound very similar to the Mini-Moog, of
>course not as
>wet, and analog, as the Moog, but pretty damn close.  If you want em let me
>know.
>I am looking for some good Techno and House drum kits for the M1. Any ideas?
>If you need a hand on programming some house and techno sounds let me know.
>I’ll share with ya what I know.
>Sincerely a Faithful M1 Fanatic,
>RaveGuy
Hi everybody!
This il the first time I write, and, being italian, hope you will excuse me
if my English is not perfectly correct.

I found in an italian BBS a bank of 50 programs called TECHNO, and may be
some of the sound can be interesting. The bank comes in X-or format, but if
you need it I can send it to my M1 and then save it back in SysEx format.
Is there a palce where banks, etc. can be uploaded to share them with you all?

I’m also interested in that “couple of patches that sound very similar to
the Mini-Moog” and others analog-flavour sounds that can be obtained from
the M1.

Baci to everybody

Paolo
punzo@pinerolo.gvo.it

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 03:34:44 +0100
From: smalt@nedernet.nl (Chris Smalt)
Subject: M1* M1-EX vs normal M1

Kevin wondered:

>Oh yeah! What exactly does an M1-EX have that the normal M1 doesn’t?
>Is it just the card with an extra 100 programs and 100 combinations? I just
>bought an M1-EX last week and this is the only difference I can see.

The original M1 has 100 PCM Multisounds and 44 Drum sounds.
The EX has 190 PCM Multisounds and 85 Drum Sounds.

Multisounds are the sampled waveforms that the M1 uses as a starting point
for its programs. The card was added to show off the extra sounds.

If you want to check this out further: dial up a program that uses single
oscillator mode, like the Trumpet (internal 12). Press edit Prog, the press
Page +. In the case of the Trumpet, Osc 1 is set to multisound 036. Scroll
through the sounds past #100, Piano 2. That’s where the new Multisounds
are, and it’s pretty good stuff.  To hear the new drum sounds, listen to
program 09 on the card, T1 Drums.

Chris

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 03:34:47 +0100
From: smalt@nedernet.nl (Chris Smalt)
Subject: M1* Re: Bruce’s M1 frustrations

Bruce wrote:
>        Also, when I reach about 40% memory in the sequencer, it starts
>to mess up slightly on playback if the sounds I have used are sounds that
>use a lot of memory.

Huh? Are you refering to sounds being cut off? That would be due to the
number of voices sounding at once, not to the amount of memory used by the
sequencer.

Anyway, if this is your problem, check which of the sounds you’re using are
set to “Double” Osc mode (press “Edit prog” and “Page+”). These eat up two
voices for each note that is played. Try substituting “Single” sounds.

>        Third, is there any way to apply a large VDF cutoff envelope to
>the joystick without experiencing any volume loss, i.e. just a wah envelope?

No, the joystick can’t control amplitude. You can do it with aftertouch,
though: set VDF cutoff to a positive value and VDA amplitude to a negative
one, or vice versa. This isn’t as versatile, I know. (Short how-to:
Pressing “Edit prog” and “7” bring you to the Aftertouch page. Mess with
the “F” and “A” parameters.)

If you are recording, you could use a heavy compressor to squeeze out the
dynamics. But even then, cutting highs will lead to a perceived loss of
volume. I think that’s psycho-acoustics.

Chris

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 00:31:44 -0500
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: M1* Re: Bruce’s M1 frustrations

At 03:34 AM 2/5/96 +0100, you wrote:

>>        Third, is there any way to apply a large VDF cutoff envelope to
>>the joystick without experiencing any volume loss, i.e. just a wah envelope?
>No, the joystick can’t control amplitude. You can do it with aftertouch,
>though: set VDF cutoff to a positive value and VDA amplitude to a negative
>one, or vice versa. This isn’t as versatile, I know. (Short how-to:
>Pressing “Edit prog” and “7” bring you to the Aftertouch page. Mess with
>the “F” and “A” parameters.)
>If you are recording, you could use a heavy compressor to squeeze out the
>dynamics. But even then, cutting highs will lead to a perceived loss of
>volume. I think that’s psycho-acoustics.

Well it seems to me that when I apply the joystick to VDF cutoff there is a
definite amplitude loss. The only thing I can think of to do is to make the
effect less dramatic by raising the cutoff and/or lowering the joystick VDF
Sweep Intensity so you get less variation and thus less amplitude variation.
– ——————————————–
J O H N  S E X T O N
jsexton@gate.net
– ——————————————–

Date: Mon, 05 Feb 1996 06:09:46 EST
From: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback qual

– —- Mail Item Text Follows
To: I1525924–IBMMAIL

*** Resending note of 02/02/96 21:46
From: R. Lohman
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback qual

> I have quite a few house and techno sounds I’ve been able to come up with on
> my M1.
> I have a couple of patches that sound very similar to the Mini-Moog, of
> course not as
> wet, and analog, as the Moog, but pretty damn close.  If you want em let me
> know.
> am looking for some good Techno and House drum kits for the M1. Any ideas?
> if you need a hand on programming some house and techno sounds let me know.
> I’ll share with ya what I know.

Sounds all great! About the pathches you have: I am definitely interested
About programming tips: that would be great too!
About techno/house drum kits: I am in the process of compiling some from
some excellent sample CD’s. I can send those when they are finished.Also
I have about 200 samples of THAT drum machine (yes, the TR808), and I
will compile some killer sets from those as well.Might take a bit of
time as my PC is down at the moment, though.

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 15:07:38 +0200
From: rm40910@sysh.fokker.nl (R.A. MAJOOR)
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback quality

Hi paolo,

Try to contact John Sexton. He can tell you how to upload your Techno-sounds
to his ftp site. Then they can be downloaded by anyone who is interrested.
I do not know his e-mail adres but i’m sure he will read this and response.

Hope this works of course because i’m also interrested in these sounds!

In advance, thanks John.

RAM

Date: Mon, 5 Feb 1996 11:48:36 -0500
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: Re: M1* house/techno sounds for M1/T1; SAM-1 sample playback
quality

At 11:54 PM 2/4/96 +0100, you wrote:

>I found in an italian BBS a bank of 50 programs called TECHNO, and may be
>some of the sound can be interesting. The bank comes in X-or format, but if
>you need it I can send it to my M1 and then save it back in SysEx format.
>Is there a palce where banks, etc. can be uploaded to share them with you all?

Save it in sysex format and email it to me as a MIME attachment or as a
BinHex if your mail program doesn’t support MIME attachments. If attaching
the file does not work you can upload it to ftp.gate.net/incoming/ and tell
me what the filename is by email so I can grab it. However you get it to me,
I will then post it to my M1 webpage at http://www.gate.net/~jsexton/m1.htm
Thanks in advance.
– ——————————————–
J O H N  S E X T O N
jsexton@gate.net
– ——————————————–

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 01:56:27 -0500
From: John Sexton <jsexton@gate.net>
Subject: M1* New-Available for download

Thanks go to Paolo Punzo for sending me the technom1.zip file which is
techno sounds for the M1 in .syx format and .zip compressed. I haven’t had a
chance to try them out myself so email myself or Paolo punzo@pinerolo.gvo.it
if you run into trouble. The files are available at my ftp directory at:

ftp://gate.net/pub/users/jsexton/

ftp.gate.net/pub/users/jsexton/

I will eventually create a link for them from my webpage but for now you’ll
have to use ftp. My pages are all blacked out and blue ribboned in
anticipation of the passing tomorrow of the digital telecom bill. 🙁

Peace to the pre-police-state net,

– ——————————————–
J O H N  S E X T O N
jsexton@gate.net
– ——————————————–

From: mladwig@why.net (mladwig)
Subject: M1* Anybody know where to go for M3R info?
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 11:28:17 -0600

I own the rack-mount version, the M3R.  Scanning all the BBS’s, COmpuserve,
and the internet, all I can find is this one group of patches.  They’re
pretty good, however, I would love to have more, or (I’m dreaming) maybe a
patch editor program / configuration that works with the M3R…

Now, I know this is a M1 group, but I was wondering if anyone had a M3R or
knows of another group???

Date:   Thu, 8 Feb 1996 20:15:29 -0400
From: Nick Mattison <ac125@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
Subject: M1* Re: Club Midi Magazine

I have been subscribing to this small magazine for the past year and
thought it might be of interest to some M1 members. It is published by
Ken Kittredge and it comes out 4 times per year. Subscription is $15.95
per year in US but $11.95 thereafter if you renew early.

The magazine is heavily slanted to Korg products and in the past year has
featured articles on T3, M1 sounds, o1/w and the wavestation. It has also
articles on midi subjects, logging on to the net etc. It seems slanted
more to beginners than extremely advanced players which suits me very well!

To give you and idea, this quarter’s issue has the foollowing topics:

Feedback..members tips, suggestions & questions
Wave sequencing on the Korg wavestation
Basic blues riffs
Readers tapes: share your works with others in the group
News and events: the latest and greatest
Book review : Drum Programming
Korg KSSD 5 pattern disk
Musicians online: an overview of the internet.
Classified: Buy and sell your harware and software.

Well that’s it. And it get’s better. If I send in the names and addresses
of anyone interested in getting the magazine, you get a free copy and my
subscription gets extended by 2 copies…a win situation for everyone.

So if anyone is interested, if you email me your address I will pass it
along.

Incidentally I have just sent off the money to buy an Obenheimer Drummer
from someone on the net. It apparently uses the drum sound in your synth
and plays a drum accompaniment along with you adding random changes so
the patterns do not get too monotonous. If there is any interest I could
give a kind of review of it when I have used it a while. Any interest??

All the best    ………………..Nick Mattison

ac125@cfn.cs.dal.ca

Date: Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:15:13 -0800
From: sjs@corp.portal.com (Steve Schow)
Subject: M1* Invision

Hey M1ers

I just signed up on this list.  I have an M1 that has been upgraded
with the Invision chip upgrade that basically makes it a whole new
animal…..  I was wondering if anyone else on the list also has
the Invision upgrade and if so, what kinds of cool new programs
have you come up with?  Wanna share?

– -steve

– ——————————————————————
Steve Schow         | But you don’t need to use the claw, if you
sjs@corp.portal.com | pick the pear of the big paw paw……
(408) 973-9111 x110 | Have I given you a clue……?
(408) 977-5955 (hm) |                    – Baloo the Bear

Subject: M1* Invision
/internet
/to korg-m1-l@io.org
/report
/end
Hi!
What’s this Invision chip? Does it replace any existing sounds or feature
s or does it add to it? And is it compatible with the T-series? How about
availability and price? And while I’m at it, how about a donation to me
to finance my home studio?   =;-)

Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
Rein Lohman
IBM internal: NL52932 at UITVM1
Internet: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com
From: “Sherwin H. Bostock” <shbostoc@uab-admin.vpad.uab.edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 08:37:42 CST
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

> Date:          Thu, 8 Feb 1996 18:15:13 -0800
> From:          sjs@corp.portal.com (Steve Schow)
> To:            korg-m1-l@io.org
> Subject:       M1* Invision
> Reply-to:      korg-m1-l@io.org

> Hey M1ers
> I just signed up on this list.  I have an M1 that has been upgraded
> with the Invision chip upgrade that basically makes it a whole new
> animal…..  I was wondering if anyone else on the list also has
> the Invision upgrade and if so, what kinds of cool new programs
> have you come up with?  Wanna share?
> -steve
> ——————————————————————
> Steve Schow         | But you don’t need to use the claw, if you
> sjs@corp.portal.com | pick the pear of the big paw paw……
> (408) 973-9111 x110 | Have I given you a clue……?
> (408) 977-5955 (hm) |                    – Baloo the Bear
> ——————————————————————
> HomePage:  http://www.bstage.com/
> HomeAddr:  sjs@midiman.bstage.com
> ——————————————————————
> Hello everyone,

I’ve been on the list several months and has owned a M1 since 1989.
I’m sorry for being in the twylight zone, but this is the first of my
knowing about this invision chip upgrade for the M1.  Can anyone give me a
little more background as to what it does, how much it cost,
who can I purchase it from, etc.   Someone please educate me on this
issue.   I will be looking to hear your responses.  Thanks

Sherwin

——-
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 09:34:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Schow <sjs@corp.portal.com>
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

The Invision board is not available new anymore.  Invision stopped making
it.  They now focus all their attention  on making sample libs for the
big samplers.  Anyway, it ADDS to the existing sounds, not replaces.
Gives you 4 MB of PCM samples…..and they went to great lengths to make
them good.  what they call “Meat and Potatoe” sounds.

Turns the M1 into a whole new beast….up with the times pretty much(er
at least a year or two ago it was)….

– -steve

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996 r_lohman@nl.ibm.com wrote:

> —- Mail Item Text Follows
> To: I1525924–IBMMAIL                     INTERNET–IBMMAIL
> *** Reply to note of 09/02/96 02:44
> From: R. Lohman
> Subject: M1* Invision
> Hi!
> What’s this Invision chip? Does it replace any existing sounds or feature
> s or does it add to it? And is it compatible with the T-series? How about
> availability and price? And while I’m at it, how about a donation to me
> to finance my home studio?   =;-)
> Met vriendelijke groet / With kind regards,
> Rein Lohman
> IBM internal: NL52932 at UITVM1
> Internet: r_lohman@nl.ibm.com
> **  To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list send _unsubscribe_ in the BODY  ***
> ***  of your email message to korg-m1-l-request@io.org  ***

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 09:35:25 -0800
From: cmarks@ucla.edu (Craig Marks)
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

>Hey M1ers
>I just signed up on this list.  I have an M1 that has been upgraded
>with the Invision chip upgrade that basically makes it a whole new
>animal…..  I was wondering if anyone else on the list also has
>the Invision upgrade and if so, what kinds of cool new programs
>have you come up with?  Wanna share?
>-steve

What is the Invision upgrade?  How much does it cost?

From: bhapgood@spry.com
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 10:54:51 -0800
Subject: Re: M1* Re: Club Midi Magazine

Count me in.

Here’s some info:

Snail:  10919 113th Ct. N.E. #F107
Kirkland
Washington 98033
USA.

E-mail: bhapgood@spry.com
Work:   (206) 957-8244
Home:   (206) 827-5123

——-
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 11:35:05 -0800 (PST)
From: Steve Schow <sjs@corp.portal.com>
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

OK EVERYONE……Sorry about the confusion.  The Invision Upgrade is not
available any more.  If you wanna know why, call Invision in Palo Alto, CA.
I don’t have the number handy.  They discontinued making them.  So you can’t
get em any more.  I was just hoping that maybe someone else on the list had
it already like me…..to share patches with.

FYI – its essentially 4 MB of new PCM samples.  All top quality.  Turns
the M1 into a whole new instrument.  Does NOT replace the old sounds.  Just
adds to them.

– -steve

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Craig Marks wrote:

> >Hey M1ers
> >
> >I just signed up on this list.  I have an M1 that has been upgraded
> >with the Invision chip upgrade that basically makes it a whole new
> >animal…..  I was wondering if anyone else on the list also has
> >the Invision upgrade and if so, what kinds of cool new programs
> >have you come up with?  Wanna share?
> >
> >-steve
> >
> What is the Invision upgrade?  How much does it cost?

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 15:35:00 -0800
From: sjs@corp.portal.com (Steve Schow)
Subject: M1* Invision

In case anyone is interested. the web URL for Invision(the makers
of the M1 upgrade i have) is

You can always try to see if they have any left or leads on any.

– -steve

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:37:29 -0500
From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

At 11:35 AM on 2/9/96, Steve Schow wrote:
>OK EVERYONE……Sorry about the confusion.  The Invision Upgrade is not
>available any more.  If you wanna know why, call Invision in Palo Alto, CA.
>I don’t have the number handy.  They discontinued making them.  So you can’t
>get em any more.  I was just hoping that maybe someone else on the list had
>it already like me…..to share patches with.

Hey, maybe if someone can find the phone number and send it to the list, we
could all give ’em a call and convince them to start making it agian? After
all after 350 phone calls, they might just change their minds…

***********************************************************

>        Kirkland
>        Washington 98033
>        USA.
>E-mail: bhapgood@spry.com
>Work:   (206) 957-8244
>Home:   (206) 827-5123

Somehow I missed this thread (which is weird being the list admin. and all…)
could someone fill me in? What’s Club Midi? Any relation to M.U.G.?

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org                   http://www.io.org/~noise/

***********************************************************

Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 16:57:01 -0800
From: sjs@corp.portal.com (Steve Schow)
Subject: Re: M1* Invision

If all 350 of you called them on it….maybe they would do it.  Its
worth a try. Check their home page…..I just posted the URL.  I’ll
see if I can dig up a phone number for you.

– -steve

– —– Begin Included Message —–

>From owner-korg-m1-l@io.org  Fri Feb  9 16:53:15 1996
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 1996 18:37:29 -0500
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=”us-ascii”
To: korg-m1-l@io.org
From: noise@io.org
Subject: Re: M1* Invision
Sender: owner-korg-m1-l@io.org
Reply-To: korg-m1-l@io.org
Content-Length: 932

At 11:35 AM on 2/9/96, Steve Schow wrote:
>OK EVERYONE……Sorry about the confusion.  The Invision Upgrade is not
>available any more.  If you wanna know why, call Invision in Palo Alto, CA.
>I don’t have the number handy.  They discontinued making them.  So you can’t
>get em any more.  I was just hoping that maybe someone else on the list had
>it already like me…..to share patches with.

Hey, maybe if someone can find the phone number and send it to the list, we
could all give ’em a call and convince them to start making it agian? After
all after 350 phone calls, they might just change their minds…

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org                   http://www.io.org/~noise/

***********************************************************

– —– End Included Message —–

From: NATEGOULET@ids.net
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 1:50:35 -0500 (EST)
Subject: RE: M1* Invision

Just for those that have not heard the Plus One upgrade from Invision, the
key features are:
Solo electric guitar (try Van Halen’s Eruption or
AC/DC’s Thunderstruck, Asia’s Time & Time Again.  Awesome.
– –
6 string accoustic guitar.    Flute      Fender Rhodes electric piano, the
the Hammond organ sounds.  IAlso the DX7’s famous electric piano.
I shouldn’t forget the Mellotron or the violin.  I like the violin patch
from the World Ombious cart better (Quartet).
– –
Nate
– –
P.S.  Sounds I’m looking for:  Horn blast (Yes’s Owner of a Loely Heart).
Analog type sounds, OB, AArp, Moog.  Hammond organ with realtime Lesile
speaker speed ajustment.  I have an M1/Plus One, 2 Casio CZ-1000’s, a
Yamaha FB-01 & an Ensoniq Soundscape type card for my PC.  Ensoniq Mirage
emulator for my Amiga.

Date:   Sat, 10 Feb 1996 07:38:36 -0400
From: Nick Mattison <ac125@ccn.cs.dal.ca>
Subject: Re: M1* Re: Club Midi Magazine

I posted a message about this a few days ago, Noise. You must have missed
it. Club Midi is a small privately run magazine mainly focused on Korg
products. It is not related to the Club midi on the net run by Dan Panke.
It is produced by Ken Kitteredge.

I had mentioned that anyone wanting to receive a free copy of the
magazine could drop me an email with their snail mail address and I would
forward it on to him. By doing this You get a free copy and I get my
subscription extended by 2 issues…a win situation for us both.

If anyone out there is still interested let me know … I am sending
names off to him on Sunday.

All the best    ………………..Nick…

ac125@cfn.cs.dal.ca

From: Vinny Fiorenza <fiorenza@ccnet.com>
Subject: RE: M1* Re: Club Midi Magazine
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:50:59 -0800

>I had mentioned that anyone wanting to receive a free copy of the
>magazine could drop me an email with their snail mail address and I would
>forward it on to him. By doing this You get a free copy and I get my
>subscription extended by 2 issues…a win situation for us both.

>If anyone out there is still interested let me know … I am sending
>names off to him on Sunday.

All the best    ………………..Nick…

Hi Nick,  thanks for the offer,  Yes, indeed this sounds like a pretty col
offer.  My snailing address is:
Vinny Fiorenza
PO Box 478
Morgan Hill California
95037

Again,  thanks for the offer & i look forward to reading!

cheers,

Vinny

Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 15:49:45 +0100
From: smalt@nedernet.nl (Chris Smalt)
Subject: RE: M1* Invision/organ trick

Nate wrote:

>P.S.  Sounds I’m looking for:  (…) Hammond organ with realtime Leslie
>speaker speed adjustment.

Not sure what you mean by realtime, but let’s fresh up on the following:

You can do this to any organ sound on the M1: set effect 1 to 25:Rotary SP.
Then press Global and go to the Pedal Assign menu. Set Pedal 1 to “Effect 1
Cntl”. Plug a footswitch into the assignable pedal 1 input. Now the switch
controls your Leslie speed. For impatient folks: if you use a sustain-type
pedal, be sure to keep it down long enough.

Of course you could use pedal input 2 instead. Or set effect 2 to Rotary SP.

IMO, this is still one of the best sounding leslies, apart maybe from
dedicated organ boxes.

Chris

——-
From: urgent@roissy.umd.edu (David Gent)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 1996 22:35:47 -0500
Subject: Re: M1* Anybody know where to go for M3R info?

mladwig@why.net (mladwig) asked:

I own the rack-mount version, the M3R.  Scanning all
the BBS’s, COmpuserve, and the internet, all I can find
is this one group of patches.  They’re pretty good,
however, I would love to have more, or (I’m dreaming)
maybe a patch editor program / configuration that works
with the M3R…

Now, I know this is a M1 group, but I was wondering if
anyone had a M3R or knows of another group???

I’ll pipe-up as another M3R owner.  Where’d you get your patches?
I’ve scoured the net for years, but have never found anything M3R
related except for this group….

On another note, Edit-one, Opcode’s crippled Galaxy Editor/Librarian
for the Mac, has a function to convert M1 patches to M3R patches.
I’ve never used it, however.

Perhaps it’s time to give it a shot…. –dg

urgent@roissy.umd.edu is david gent 301/405-4797 the Zeno project

Date: Sun, 11 Feb 1996 10:22:14 -0500
From: noise@io.org
Subject: M1* Important Message from The Administrator!!

Just a quick note to remind folks not to put the word “help” in the subject
line of your posts. When the mailing list software sees this in the subject
line, it thinks its a cry for assistance and bounces the message to me and
not to the list.

So if you have posted a message to the list and never get a response, this
is probably why.

Oh, yes and if you want to unsubscribe to the list READ THE BOTTOM OF THE
MESSAGES! JEESH! 😉

***********************************************************
noise
noise @io.org                   http://www.io.org/~noise/

***********************************************************

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 96 10:16 PST
From: james_bowers@mindlink.bc.ca (James Bowers)
Subject: M1* Need ExM1R factory progs/combis

Howdy,

Can anybody on the list email me sysex of the ExM1r progs/combis in a
format that I can import into Logic Audio or Studio Vision on my Mac? One
kind soul Emailed me the sysex but it has a .syx extension which looks like
a DOS extension and none of my programs will recognize it.

Thanks in advance!

James Bowers                                    James Bowers Productions

Check out the Website…..

**  To UNSU

One thought on “The Korg M1 list – Feb. 1996

1. hi,i just got an M1 and i dont know how to use the sustain function,i tried the damper point but it just sustained the notes continuously.how can i achieve the sustain?thanx